BROCCOLI BASIL CREAM SOUP
29 September 2009
BROCCOLI SOUP with BASIL CREAM
I have been on a green theme lately, avocado, pesto, swiss chard…. it wasn’t conscious I tell you. I take inspiration as it comes. This time it was from the general direction of the fridge, where two broccoli’s & half of a cauliflower were staring me down. Add to that my lack of inspiration for dinner (happens to the best of us right), plus a lonely bouquet of basil and this soup was taking shape.
I have always felt that cream of broccoli soup was missing something, that it needed a little pick me up to tweak the taste buds. Here’s where the basil cream came in. It is not overpowering, in fact you may need a few spoonfuls to put your finger on just what makes this sumptuous soup so much better than the rest.
RECIPE : SWEET PEA Blog
- 350 gr broccoli florets
- 130 gr cauliflower
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 100 mL warm water
- 400 mL chicken stock
- 300 mL boiling water
- 1 bunch of basil
- 100 mL light cream
- salt & pepper
- Wash & cut the broccoli & cauliflower into florets, set aside
- prepare the onion: coarsly chop, heat the oil on medium heat, cook onions until soft (approx. 5 mins)
- Add 100 mL of warm water, salt & pepper, cook covered until almost all the liquid has evaporated
- Add crushed garlic, stir
- Add broccoli, cauliflower, chicken stock & boiling water. Cover and cook until vegetables are cooked (broccoli easily pierced with a knife, but still bright green)
- Drain and keep the stock.
- In a blender, mix the cream & basil. Set aside.
- In the blender mix vegetables, and gradually add the stock.
- Finally add the bail cream to the soup.