AVOCADO, GOATS CHEESE & QUINOA SALAD Recipe
25 September 2009
Quinoa - simply delicious, with a little crunch and nutty flavour, makes a nice change from eating rice and cous cous. Add to that chunks of ripe avocado, pieces of creamy goats cheese, some garlicky pesto + toasted pine nuts, and you have a great salad!
I often find myself stuck for inspiration when it comes to lunch and craving something different, but at the same time not having hours to spend in the kitchen. This recipe checks all the boxes. I even made the quinoa the nightbefore, so it was just a matter of quickly chopping up the avo, toasting the nuts and throwing the salad together.
Thank god my avocado was ripe this time, as I have been on streak of bad luck lately, to the point of having to return two to the grocerystore as they were completely uneatable. I figure at CHF2.50 an avocado, you should have something good to show for it!
And for those vegetarians out there, quinoa is a great hidden secret, a fab grain-like, pseudo cereal, which are actually edible seeds. It comes in red or white, and is a great source of protein, while being gluten-free and easy to digest. What more could you ask for!
RECIPE : SWEET PEA blog
- 100 gr red or white quinoa*
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3-4 tablespoons goats cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 5 tablespoons pesto (or more if you like) (PESTO RECIPE)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt & pepper to taste
*I prefer the red, as it has a more nutty flavour, but is generally more expensive to buy
- Cook the quinoa as per box instructions. Leave to cool to room temperature.
- Prepare the avocado: put lemon juice in a medium sized bowl. Cut avocado into chunks and toss in lemon juice, set aside.
- Toast pine nuts in a non stick pan until lightly golden.
- Mix quinoa and olive oil. Add pesto & toasted pine nuts, mix gently – you want clumps of pesto to remain. Gently fold in the avocado, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve, with pieces of goats cheese on top.